5 Things I’ve Learned from Being Alive
I often find myself lying awake at night, staring out my bedroom window at the moon as if I am some sort of lost wolf. As I gaze at the magnificent glow of the moon I start to day dream, or I guess night dream, of what I would be doing right now if I had unlimited funds. I like to think that I would be traveling the world and learning as much as I could, I would be throwing island yacht parties with my closest friends, and my family would be living their best lives. I would love to meet that version of myself to see the differences in my personality. All of these things are essentially materialistic goods and would not give me sustained happiness, only temporary happiness. One of my favorite quotes, one that I always try and keep in mind is this quote by Jim Carrey.
“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it’s not the answer.” — Jim Carrey
- Appreciate the simple things in life and they will open the doors you are looking for – When you learn to appreciate and be grateful for the little things that you have, like the roof above your head or the food on your table, it will show you what is truly important in this life.
2. Be authentic, be true to who you are instead of being politically correct – In a world where people are scared to say their own beliefs and viewpoints, it is important to have a core set of basic beliefs that you adhere to without fail. Expressing your beliefs and giving factual evidence for your reasoning behind these beliefs, shows an increased level of intelligence and understanding. There is no point in worrying about hurting somebody’s feelings in the present when you know it will be beneficial to them in the future.
3. Live life with no regrets – A daily vlogger from YouTube named Life of Tom has a motto that he lives by everyday, “Life’s too short, make the most of it”. At a Ted Talk in San Fransisco, Mel Robbins mentioned that scientists approximate our chances of being born a human is about one in 400 trillion. With odds that low you should do what you want to do with your life. If you want to travel then travel, if you want to go skydiving then go skydiving! Why? Because LIFE’S TOO SHORT, MAKE THE MOST OUT OF IT. If you truly want something then give it everything you have everyday and you will eventually have it. Life is all about who is more persistent, who has the drive to get off their ass and chase their dreams.
4. Fear is almost always a misconception – Being afraid is healthy, it shows you understand your surroundings and the dangers that come with them. It shows that you can think past the present and attempt to predict the things that are about to happen. The issue with this is when you think of the worst possible thing that could happen happening, this is what causes people to panic and freeze in intense situations. Do not panic, and just keep in mind that reality is a lot more dull and tedious than your imagination wants you to believe. Everything always works out, it will be okay as long as you think rationally. (Let me know if you want me to write a post about coping with stress).
5. Make gaining new experiences a priority – I can not stress enough how important it is to gain new experiences, meet new people, and experience the world. Materialistic things are all well and good, but they gather dust, and can be replaced. Memories and experiences are priceless, so save up for those vacations with your friends, don’t just talk about them, do them! And remember LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST.